Tuesday 23 March 2010

Band of the week - Lostprophets

Soccermom, which is a blog I really enjoy reading, loves music as much as I, and I have decided to copy her (it's a sign of respect, honest!) and do a band a week. I shall be slightly different in my format, and give my impressions rather than doing their biographies.

The reason I want to do this is so I can remember what I was listening to at this time in my life. And also, if anyone does read my blog, they too can enjoy (or mock - but I warn you, I have two crutches, and I am not afraid to use them!) what I like.

The band I have chosen for this week are Lostprophets, a wonderful Welsh Rock band that until you see them live, you may not understand the appeal!

The music by Lostprophets is quite diverse. Songs like Shinobi vs Dragon Ninja from the first album, Burn Burn from the second album and Rooftops (A Liberation Broadcast) from the third album are epic rock tunes that just make you want to jump up and down.

The main reason I have chosen this band is because they are PHENOMENAL live. I do put a great deal of stock in how good a band performs, mostly because when I go to a gig, I have to be in a place where I am pushed, shoved, or get beer thrown over me. If it sounds exactly like the album, I am generally disappointed. If I wanted to hear the album, I would do so in a place where I can be comfortable! Maybe I am getting old (no, Angry Girl, you aren't, you are still ahem 24 and a half!) but I like to be entertained.

Lostprophets are great, because they don't care how big the audience is, they are just happy to be up there playing their music, and having fun. I have seen them play to 100 people in a tiny venue, and a week later play in a large arena with a capacity of over 10,000. Both gigs felt intimate, and the energy was intense.

But the biggest bonus with this band is their lead singer, Ian Watkins. That man loves to talk. Really loves to talk. To the point where the band have had to cut songs from the set list, due to him chatting. He has, in the past sat on stage during the bit most bands go off before the encore, just to entertain the crowd.

He is the only man I have ever known to use the word "lacklustre" during a set!

But besides that, the band truly love what they do. They aren't pressured to conform to a label's ideals, or if they were, I would imagine Ian would have just talked over them! Every time I see them live it is a totally different experience. One of their best gigs was an acoustic session, held in a church. They brought a Welsh Male Choir to be their backing, and I was moved to tears.

A truly amazing band. Check them out if you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment