Tuesday 30 March 2010

Band of the week - Rage Against The Machine

There was a little bit of debate in the house this week as to what the band of the week was going to be. I have gone with Rage Against The Machine for a number of reasons.

RATM was one of my favourite bands when I was growing up. For some reason, their music really spoke to me. Most probably because I was an angry teenager!

I did go for a number of years without listening to them, but stumbled across their first album "Rage Against The Machine" when I was doing a sort of all my music.

I fell in love with the band all over again but for entirely different reasons. I can now recognise that musically, they are extremely talented, and their lyrics are extremely profound.

I had the opportunity to go and see RATM play a gig in a very large park in Paris. The day itself was glorious, and despite the fact that it was in Paris so full of Parisians, the atmosphere was electric.

I knew the day was going to be a good one when Lostprophets were the opening act. It was a bit of a strange one, as I know that the 'Prophets aren't too big in France, and when you are supporting a band that hasn't toured for years, and were extremely popular, it was always going to be tricky! However, to my mind, they were amazing, and a definite upper for the day.

It was just starting to get dark when RATM came on stage, and I am sure you could have heard the cheering in London. They played an amazing set, and considering they haven't released anything new, there was never a dull moment. I have to say that they only problem I had with the day was the fact that they were charging an extortionate amount of money for the merchandise. Considering they are anti-establishment and all that, I did think that €45 for a t-shirt was excessive.

My final note on RATM is how happy I was that they became the Christmas number 1 song with "Killing in the name of".

Check back same time next week for a slightly surprising band of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment