Wednesday 21 April 2010

Band of the week ... James

My first band of the week is going to be James.  I have chosen them because they were one of the first ever bands I went to see.  I saw them play a gig in Leeds in 1990, in a very small student union bar, and they were brilliant.

They are a bit of an odd band for me, as I don't normally have a great deal of time for English bands of the late '80's, early '90's.  I have always had a preference for American bands, so for those of you that know me, this is probably going to be a shock choice!

James are a band from Manchester who were formed in the early 80's, but didn't actually make it big until the early 90's.  I can understand why, as quite a lot of their early stuff is quite dire in my opinion.  I think that I was just too young to get it!

The reason I like James is because every time I hear one of their songs, I am instantly transported back to that particular point in time.  I know that this is one of the great things about music.  But somehow, this band more than almost any, make me close my eyes, and picture the night that I saw them live.

I could probably draw you a picture (if I was in anyway artistic!!!) of the entire venue, of how many people were there, of the mad early '90's English dodgy dancing that went on.  But I won't.  I will just ask you to have a listen to either album of Seven or Laid, and tell me you can't picture what I have in my head.  I bet you too could imagine the scene of 20 quite drunk uni students wailing along and throwing their arms around their heads to a beat of a different drum!

Happy music, all the way.  Go listen to the song "Sit Down", and whilst you are doing so, dance around the room with reckless abandon, and let me know if it cheered your day up.  If nothing else, it will give the neighbours something to talk about!

No comments:

Post a Comment